- This event has passed.
August 6, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am
The City of Roanoke and Virginia 811 (VA811) will hold a dedication and ribbon-cutting ceremony for a new Communications Center that houses the city’s E-911 Center and the VA811 Contact Center. This event will be broadcast via Facebook LIVE as to cut down the number of people in attendance due to COVID-19. Located at 1830 Blue Hills Circle (in the Roanoke Centre for Industry and Technology), the facility creates a culture that promotes innovative thinking, information sharing, and an increased awareness and interaction with our community.
The city’s E-911 Center receives more than 250,000 calls each year; Virginia 811 receives more than one-and-a-quarter-million utility locate requests (“tickets”) each year. To accommodate both agencies’ volume of calls or contacts, the new building is divided into three areas – a contact center for each agency and common spaces.
- Space dedicated for a robust training environment
- Room for expansion as needs change in the 911 services industry
- Space for a backup center for neighboring jurisdictions without hindering current operations
- Fully-redundant and resilient power, water, and HVAC
- Administrative office space, conference and small meeting rooms, and clerical/copy areas essential to the operation of each entity
Options for watching the event LIVE: