If a utility line is accidentally damaged (nicked, scraped or broken), dislocated or disturbed, call the appropriate utility company immediately (DO NOT call Miss Utility) for inspection and repair.
DO NOT cover or attempt to repair the damage yourself.
If accidental damage creates an emergency, dislocation or disturbance, take immediate steps to safeguard life, health and property.
Reporting gas line emergencies:
If you discover:
- Gas escaping from the pipeline (hissing sound, gas bubbling to the surface, unexplained dead vegetation on right-of-way, natural gas smell)
- Fire, explosion or natural disaster (earthquake, wash-out, lightning, etc.) involving or occurring near pipeline facilities
- Unauthorized digging, drilling or construction on a pipeline right-of-way
- Any other occurrence of possible damage to any pipeline utility that may constitute an emergency or hazardous condition
- Call the gas company involved (see numbers below)
- Call the local fire department and emergency personnel (911)
- Secure the area. Keep out unnecessary personnel. Allow only trained repair and emergency personnel onto the site.
- Eliminate any source of ignition (cigarettes, matches, flint guns, welders, flashlights, electrical and electronic devices, motorized vehicles and equipment, or anything that could produce a spark or flash).
Virginia 811 member gas companies:
|Atmos Energy Company (Formerly United Cities Gas Company)||(800) 556-5469|
Bluefield Gas Company
|City of Charlottesville||(434) 293-9164|
City of Danville
City of Richmond
|Columbia Gas Transmission Co||(800) 835-7191|
|Columbia Gas of Virginia||(800) 544-5606
|Dominion Transmission, Inc||(888) 264-8240|
|East Tennessee Natural Gas Co||(888) 231-2294|
|Roanoke Gas Company||(540) 777-4427|
|Shenandoah Gas – Division of Washington Gas||(540) 869-1111|
|Southwestern Virginia Gas Co||(276) 632-5665|
|Virginia Natural Gas||(877) 572-3342|
|Washington Gas||(703) 750-1000
|Williams Gas Pipeline – TRANSCO||(800) 440-8475|
Virginia 811 member petroleum pipeline companies:
|Colonial Pipeline Company||(800) 926-2728
|Plantation Pipe Line Co||(800) 510-5678|
|ST Services||(757) 427-1066|